Imperial Citadel of Thang Long is also known as Hanoi Citadel, a relic complex associated with the history of Thang Long – Dong Kinh citadel. This is a huge architectural work, built by kings during many historical periods and becoming one of the most important monuments in the system of Vietnamese monuments. The sites was listed in UNESCO’s World Heritage Site in 2010.
The World Heritage Site included two sections: the archaeological site at 18 Hoang Dieu Street and the central axis of the Nguyen Dynasty’s Citadel of Hanoi, which together create an integrated heritage complex. The typical relics of Hanoi Citadel:
The 18 Hoang Dieu Archaeological Site, located about 100 meters to the West of Kinh Thien Palace Foundation, is an important part of the Central Sector of the Imperial Citadel of Thang Long-Hanoi. This is a site of immense archaeological value, which accommodates a huge complex of architectural relics and an exceedingly large volume of artifacts overlapping and alternating one another, dating back to the Dai La (7th to 9th centuries), Dinh Dynasty, Anterior Le Dynasty (10th century), Ly Dynasty (1009-1225), Tran Dynasty (1226-1400), Early Le Dynasty (1428-1527), Restored Le Dynasty (1593-1789) and Nguyen Dynasty (1802-1945).
Hanoi Flag Tower
Among the structures related to the Imperial City is the Flag Tower of Hanoi (Cột cờ Hà Nội). Rising to a height of 33.4 m (41 m with the flag), it is frequently used as a symbol of the city. Built in 1812 during the Nguyễn dynasty, the tower, unlike many other structures in Hanoi, was spared during the French colonial rule (1885–1954) as it was used as a military post.
D67 Tunnel and House
From 1954 to 1975, the People’s Army of Vietnam, had its headquarters within the Citadel, coded D67. A connecting tunnel allowed for emergency evacuation in case of an attack. The house and tunnel are situated to the north of Kinh Thien hall.
To visit this historic site, tourists need to buy an entrance ticket of VND 30,000. Students and elderly people pay VND 15,000. D67 house was built in 1967, with modern architectural style, 60-centimeter wall and good soundproofing system. At this place, exhibits are tools that comrades in the Politburo and the Central Military Commission, the Ministry of Defense and the General Staff used in the resistance war against the US.
As of 2000, some of the old French barracks and buildings were demolished to make room for a new museum within the citadel.
Copyright © 2021 HANOI TOUR GUIDE - Operated by Ciao Asia Travel Co., Ltd
Add: No 41 Vu Pham Ham Street, Cau Giay Dist, Hanoi, Vietnam
Tel : +84 2432484650 / 2432484651 – Fax: +84 24 62694579
Email: email@example.com - HOTLINE: +84 985 728 790
International Tour Operator License: 01-653/TCDL-GPLHQT